I have a friend who is very interested in hypnosis but she doesn’t know where to begin. She says she doesn’t have enough information and nobody to practice on.What is the problem here? I seem to have almost too much information. I have many books that I haven’t read, and every time I go out is an opportunity to practice. As a result, I have become one of the best hypnotists in my area.
But most people don’t know how to get there. They have no idea where to start, and they aren’t aware of how to conquer their initial anxiety.
Here are some ideas:
- Read as many hypnosis and NLP blogs and mailing lists as possible. This will keep you up to date. Did you know that Steve Andreas has a mailing list? Go find out who else’s mailing list you can get on. A lot of times these things are free and have incredible amounts of information in them.
- Go buy books on hypnosis. “Trancework” by Yapko, “Uncommon Therapy” by Jay Haley, “My Voice Will Go With You” by Sidney Rosen., “Mind Lines” by Michael Hall and “Sleight of Mouth” by Robert Dilts. I’m just reciting these off the top of my head, if you don’t know these titles then you aren’t in the game.
- Practice self-hypnosis. It is important that you learn what the hypnotic state feels like. Here is a secret: All good hypnotists go into trance when they are hypnotizing someone. Personally I go into a very focused, concentrated and powerful state.
- Once you have a routine that you can go through to hypnotize someone like the Tranced Out Modified Elman Induction, go out and practice. Hypnotize your roommate’s girlfriend. She’ll love you for it, he’ll be pissed but will be nice to you because he thinks that’s what she wants. It’s a win/win.
- Practice your language patterns EVERY DAY. Go get a couple decks of the Salad Ltd Hypnosis Cards. While you remember to remember what hasn’t happened with your awareness of your feet inside the shoe, you can forget to notice what could not have happened with the lint between your toes? And if you haven’t yet noticed or won’t become aware of yet the breathing pattern slowing, until I want you to, then you might not be aware of just how deep of a trance you’re developing, are you not?
- Become a master of influence. Pretend it so real that it becomes true for you. Open your mind to being able to practice these things effectively.
- Join practice groups like the Sleepwalkers organization. See if there is already a practice group in your area, and if there isn’t, start one. Find friends in your area who are interested in topics like social dynamics or hypnosis or nlp. Women tend to be more interested in hypnosis than men, so befriend one of them and she will let you practice your skills.