Sometimes people get in the glum habit of thinking that there are limited resources. They think there’s not enough money, not enough time, not enough love or good fortune to go around, not enough “pieces of the pie,” so to speak
However if you step back, you can remind yourself that at one point there weren’t any of these resources – time, energy, money, … and look at how much there is now! Limitations are a myth. The only limitation is our own current psychology, and what we can feel really excited about right now is that we’ve all been blessed with a set of tools that enable you to shift your psychology rapidly and to enjoy the process that gets you what you really want in life.
Along these lines, there’s an NLP exercise called the New Behavior Generator that I want to share with you all.
This exercise gives you the ability to make a resource out of thin air. If you’re not sure how you would do something, all you need is to find someone that is already doing what you want to do successfully, and you’re all set! Just follow these instructions and you’ll have that state locked in where you can use it everyday if you want to.
Here are the steps:
- Think back to a situation where you felt as if you were running out of resources
- Physically step a few steps back… Breathe in and disassociate, and look at the you in that situation.
- Determine what you need in that situation, and what resources would help you out the most.
- When you’ve found the resource, select a model person that has that resource, and bring in that person into that space, and watch them doing the action themselves.
- Then send that person away and watch yourself doing that action. Make sure that it works for you!
- Once you have watched yourself deal with the situation specifically, just as your model would, step into the situation yourself and go thru it in a new and helpful way.
- Imagine yourself in the future doing these things successfully and having a new understanding.
With this exercise, I have had great fun in stepping into all sorts of people I respect for their different abilities and resources. To me it’s as simple as putting someone in a circle, stepping into that person, and feeling those resources being imparted. As I step back, I take the resources with me. It’s really that simple.
How would you like to be a kid again and to have a truly powerful imagination? Do a favor and take a couple seconds out of your day to become something totally different.
Who would you like to model? Maybe it is a master hypnotist that you truly respect. Or maybe you have someone in mind for their compassion, strength, composure, or determination. Be REAL about this stuff. Ramp up your physiology. Imagine what it would be like to be that person and go thruout the day being an influence to everyone around them. What would it be like to order a cup of coffee?
Practice this constantly. So far today I’ve stepped into many of the greats of the past and present. Wow! I feel the changes flooding thru my veins.